FIRST POP STRAM PAINTING PRIZE RULES & GUIDELINES (2018)
The 1st Pop Stram Painting Prize is convened in accordance with the following rules and requirements:
- The organizer of the Pop Stram Painting Prize is the Matilde Tamayo Foundation, with registered office at C / Francesc Macià nº 112, 08760 Martorell, Barcelona, and NIF G-25806365
This entity has been recognized by the Spanish State with the number of state registry of general interest nº 1,819, and by the Reginonal Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya) as an interest group with the number 917.
- The first POP STRAM painting prize has an international scope. Spanish and foreign artists can participate in it free of charge and with no age limits.
Participation in the first POP STRAM painting prize implies full acceptance of these rules, without exception. Participants must abide by this rules at all times.
- The submitted works must follow the POP STRAM style, a new artistic movement created by the artist Ciscu Tamayo that is characterized by the combination of two indispensable elements in any of its works:
1.-Strange element (s): Strangeness understood as animal-human hybridizations, or any obvious distortion of reality, conveying or enhancing by itself the narrative meaning of the work.
2.-Popular element (s), any objects or public figures, logos or popular commercial images that are recognizable and well known by the public worldwide, key elements aimed to give immediate access to the work’s message and to its intuitive understanding by any potential viewer.
POP STRAM works have and convey a personal narrative. And all personal narratives are to be regarded as valid: memories, longings, emotions, criticisms, dreams, protests, etc.
Both the subject and the pictorial technique to be used will be freely chosen by the artist.
If any doubts arise on the fulfillment of any these style requirements, please contact the Matilde Tamayo Foundation through its website:
Or through the following e-mail:
4. Each artist can participate with a maximum of two works, which may be independent works or a part of a series. In any case, no participant can be awarded for more than one work in this present edition.
5. The works must be already completed and ready to be physically presented by the time the application is submitted.
6. The works will not be smaller than 60 x 81 centimeters or bigger than 100 x 150 centimeters. Only painting works done with oil, acrylic or other industrial mediums will be accepted. Digital techniques will not be accepted. Framing is not required and works protected with glass won’t be admitted.
How to participate:
- Entries to the 1st POP STRAM PAINTING PRIZE will be submitted exclusively through the internet. Participants must register to the contest by submitting their entry through the web page www.matildetamayo.org . On this web site there is an entry form to be filled out. A maximum of three (3) photographs of each submitted work should be attached to this form (remember that you can submit a maximum of 2 works), togheter with the documentation referred to in item 18 of these present rules.
- Participation deadline to this 1st POP STRAM PAINTING PRIZE is December 30th, 2018.
No entry will be accepted outside this period. The Matilde Tamayo Foundation reserves the right to extend these period if deemed appropriate.
- In January 2019, the Jury will nominate from among all applying candidates the 30 artists who will be pre-selected as elegible to win the 1sr POP STRAM painting prize.
The list of these 30 pre-selected artist will be made public on the website, and interested parties will be personally notified.
- The organization of the POP STRAM Painting Prize will be contacting the 30 shortlisted artists in order to ask them to proceed with the submission of the original works already during the month of December. Nonetheless, the works must be finished and prepared for collection before the closing of the call.
The Foundation will assume the cost of insurance and freight of the selected works.
The works will have to be properly packed. The packaging must be a rigid one, such as box or a similar container allowing an easy opening and closing, and to be reused for transferring the works to the exhibition venue and for its later return.
- The Foundation is not to be hold responsible for any possible damage of the works during their transportation as a result of an inadequate packaging.
- The Foundation allows a maximum of two (2) works to be presented by each participant. Since the Foundation aims to reward the Works by evaluating the artistic potential of the painter, participants must complete the entry-form (to be found in the “Participate” section of the website www.matildetamayo.org) and provide with the following documentation:
– ID card or residence card in PDF format (optional).
– Address, telephone, mail.
– Curriculum Vitae showing the professional or creative career of the artist (in PDF format)
– A maximum of three (3) photographs of each work in JPG format and with a maximum weight of 3 megabytes per image.
– Title of the submitted work (s) (optional).
– Real measurements of the submitted works (high x width).
– A brief description of the sumitted work /s.
– A dossier showing other artist’s works of recent execution in PDF format (optional).
Weight of the attached PDF documents can not exceed 3 megabytes per document.
Among all submitted works, the Jury will select those that it deem most fitting the Pop Stram style, evaluating their artistic qualities in relation to the Pop Stram style criteria.
- The jury that will decide the three winners of the 1st POP STRAM PAINTING PRIZE amongst a maximum of 30 works that will have to be physically send to the Foundation (in so far as their works have been physically provided and received). These works will be exhibited at the NAUART Gallery (C / Espronceda 156 of Barcelona).The names of the three winners will be announced on the day of the awards ceremony, which will be held at the opening of the 1st POP STRAM PAINTING PRIZE exhibition in NAUART, during the month of January, 2019.
- The decision of the Jury will not be subject to appeal.
Prizes and taxation
- The 1st PRIZE OF PAINTING POP STRAM awards the following three prizes:
– 1st place winner of the 1st POP STRAM Painting Prize will be awarded 1,500 euros
– 2nd place winner will be awarded 1,000 euros
– 3rd place winner will be awarded 500 euros
– All applicable taxes will be paid by the winners , without prejudice of what is provided in the following item regarding any applicable witholding. The Matilde Tamayo Foundation is exempt from any responsibility in this regard.
Acquisition of the awarded works by the organizing entity:
- The winning works of the 1st POP STRAM PAINT PRIZE will become the property of the Matilde Tamayo Foundation, on the date on which the jury’s decision is made public. The values of prizes showed above are to be considered as the lump sum to be paid to the authors awarded for the acquisition of their works. The acquisition of the exclusive property of the awarded works also includes the rights of exploitation, distribution, exhibition, dissemination, reproduction, transformation, public communication, etc., and, in general, any legally transferable rights, in its broadest sense and to the maximum extent that is legally possible, which may be exercised by the Matilde Tamayo Foundation in the manner it considers convenient and without any temporal or territorial limitation.
Exhibition of the 1st POP STRAM PAINT PRIZE works
- The Matilde Tamayo Foundation will hold a first exhibition during the first half of January 2019, including the 30 pre-selected Works in the Nauart Gallery in Barcelona. It also reserves the right to exhibit them in other possible art events throughout the year 2019, with the goal of spreading the national or international knowledge of the Pop Stram style.
Return of unawarded works:
- In accordance with section 16 unawarded Works may be exhibited in various exhibitions organized by the Foundation throughout the year 2019. These works may be sold to third parties only upon the authors’ permision.
The address originally provided on the registration form should not be changed. The unawarded works will be returned to their authors after the exhibitions period is finished.
The Matilde Tamayo Foundation will shall do its utmost to care for the works received, but declines any responsibility for the loss, damage, theft or any other eventuality that may occur during its transportation, deposit or exhibition.